Day 68: No Friday prayers at Jamia Masjid for 10thconsecutive week


Uncertainty prevails across Kashmir;separatists, mainstream leaders under preventive custody, peaceful protest held at Soura

Gowhar Nazir

Srinagar, Oct 11 (KNO): On the 10thconsecutive Friday, the state administration didn’t allow the congregational prayers at the historic Jamia Masjid in Srinagar even as curbs were imposed in parts of downtown city.

According to wire service—Kashmir News Observer (KNO),deployment of security forces was made in downtown parts and on all the major roads of Srinagar’s downtown areas that include Mahraj Gunj, Safa Kadal, Nowhatta, Rainawari, and Khanyar.

Related Posts
1 of 324

The forces were seen in riot gear to deal with the possible protests and at few places, pools of concertina wires and barricades were placed making the one way road accessible to the commuters.

Meanwhile, thin deployment of security forces were present at various other places like Habba Kadal, Fateh Kadal, Saraf Kadal, and Nalamar Road to prevent any law and order situation. However private transport was seen plying throughout the city during the day.

In civil line areas, no restrictions were in place. Eye-witnesses said that private vehicles were plying normally in the uptown Srinagar that include Rajbagh, Jehangir Chowk, Jawhar nagar, Lal Chowk, Dalgate and other areas.

For the tenth consecutive Friday, the Srinagar administration didn’t allow Friday congregational prayers at the historic Jamia Masjid, Srinagar as the Kashmir’s chief cleric Mirwaiz Umar Farooq continues to remain under house detention since August 5, so is the aged separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani and others.

Many mainstream leaders including Omar Abdullah, Mehbooba Mufti and others continue to remain under detention while as National Conference president Dr Farooq Abdullah who was booked under Public Safety Act (PSA) remains lodged at his Gupkar residence that was declared a jail by the administration. Meanwhile, a protest was taken out at Soura area of Srinagar outskirts post Friday prayers. People shouting slogans marched towards Soura from Anchaar area and were intercepted by the police that used mild force to push the protestors back.

A police official told KNO that no untoward incident took place across Kashmir as the situation remained peaceful in the valley


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More